Monday, August 16, 2010

Good thing my kids weren't in the car

I had a few too many beers on Saturday night and had already made plans to leave my car at Jenny's place and the wife would drive me home. It was a great plan that we had executed numerous times in the past. Ah, the benefits of having a designated (pregnant) driver.

So in the morning we get back to Jenny's to pick up my car prior to running a few errands. We decided that we would not go into Jenny's and that we would just pick up the car and move along. After I started my car Jenny came out from her front door and started talked to the wife. I decided to say hi so I turned off my car right before I was about to drive off. I then decided it would be a good idea to warm up the car so that the A/C could get going and the car would be nice and cool when we were done chatting.

I went up the driveway as my car sat idle and continued to warm (cool) up. We chatted for a couple of minutes when I looked over my shoulder and my car was gone! I thought "oh shit someone just stole my car!" It was a really weird feeling because I hadn't left it for more than 2 minutes and there was no one around walking or passing by on foot.

So I run down the driveway and I look to the right and see the car rolling down the street by itself! I book it. I run as fast as I ever have in a very long time. Not since that time I had been chased by the cops in grade 3 had I run so fast. My heart was racing and everything was moving in slow motion. I couldn't get to my car fast enough and I was panicing as I could see it heading straight for the front lawn of a neighbour 4 houses down. Luckily there were no cars in its path. Just a garden...

It rolled straight into the garden and destroyed a few small bushy weak looking plants along with this other small tree like thing that had a couple of wooden stakes holding it up. I got to the car and pulled the E-brake. I got in and tried to reverse it out but it was stuck and spinning its wheels in the dirt. Dirt is flying and I am sitting there wondering if anyone is home. No one is coming out to see what happened, not a single person from any house anywhere. The wife came down and got in my car and I pushed it out in reverse.

Then I took off.

Then I felt bad for taking off.

I am going back there today to check it out and also to make ammends.

I am glad no one was hurt and am even more glad my kids weren't in the back seat!

1 comment:

  1. LOL What a visual! Glad you're going to let them know what happened.

    ReplyDelete